The Reading / Listening – Venice – Level 3
Venice, Italy is one of the world’s top tourist destinations. Before the coronavirus pandemic, around 20 million visitors a year visited the city. This caused many problems such as pollution from cruise ships and overcrowding. To deal with these problems, city officials are planning to charge tourists to visit the city’s historical centre and its beautiful canals. According to Italy’s La Stampa newspaper, entry into Venice could cost between three euros ($3.50) and 10 euros. This could start from the summer of 2022. There are also plans to set a limit on the number of visitors who can enter the centre each day. Tourists may need to book their visit to Venice before they go.
Venice officials have talked for many years about the number of visitors flocking to the city. Environmentalists are worried about the damage cruise ships do to marine life in the Venice Lagoon. Heritage lovers want to protect Venice’s famous squares and architecture from the millions of tourists. This made Italy’s Culture Minister say that there is a “concrete risk” of the United Nations culture agency UNESCO adding Venice to its list of World Heritage in Danger sites. However, a hotel worker said Venice needed cruise ships. He said: “They spend big in a short time, before sailing out.” A city official is worried that charging tourists a fee to enter will turn Venice into a “theme park”.
1. TRUE / FALSE: Read the headline. Guess if 1-8 below are true (T) or false (F).
- The article says Venice is the world’s top tourist destination. T / F
- About 20 million people a year visited Venice before coronavirus. T / F
- It could cost as much as 10 euros to visit Venice. T / F
- Tourists might have to book to be able to visit Venice. T / F
- Italy’s Culture Minister said there is too much concrete in Venice. T / F
- UNESCO will take Venice off its World Heritage in Danger list. T / F
- A hotel worker said cruise ship tourists don’t spend a lot of money. T / F
- A city official wants Venice to become a theme park. T / F
Nuclear fusion test could start an energy revolution (22nd August, 2021)
TRUE / FALSE
1 T 2 T 3 F 4 T 5 T 6 F 7 T 8 T
SYNONYM MATCH (p.5)
- g 2. d 3. i 4. b 5. j
- a 7. e 8. c 9. h 10. f